Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Grille covers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member fmjbullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Model 19s I received did have grille covers included with them, but I have found that the top covers which go over the horns have a twist in the wood so they do not attach properly. Any suggestions as far as correcting this. I suppose I could have new covers made, but I do not want to if I can make these work.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Model 19 grille's were on the road to dissentegration when I bought them in 1983. I plan to build new ones this summer as I am finaly going to overhaul all of my Altec's and even build a few more new items.

    I hope you can get the grilles to work, but if not, let me know and I will consider making an extra set later this summer when I make mine.

    I will be using better material than the particle board of the original. We can negotiate a deal.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member fmjbullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Carl, so the original grille covers were particle board framing? The covers I have are not, so it leads me to believe that these are not original.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes mine were particle board. They were built in 1978. I know that Altec changed materials over the years on some things, so you may have something different that could have been factory. I know that mine were originals.

    I plan to use some baltic birch plywood or someting similar. Possibly even some solid pine.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member fmjbullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When you get yor new frames built, what will you use to attach them to the speakers? I have been looking for something like the original fasteners. My 19s have them still on, but several of them are in need of replacement. I emailed Todd and he said they are no longer made, so something else will have to be used. I just am not sure what to use. I would like to leave them as close to stock as possible. Do you have any ideas?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I actually have all of the original fasteners that are in fair shape. Also, being that I worked at Altec when we were building the 19's in OKC, I just happened to, somehow, have a few extra fasteners. I don't know how they ended up in my possession! forums

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have searched for a place to purchase the appropriate Model 19 grill fasteners for a couple of years now. Mine are 3M Dual Lock connectors that seem to only be available in quantities of 1000 or more. I did find the correct diameter fasteners in the 400 stems/sq in density for sale individually and bought some. I quickly learned why the 400 to 400 combination is not recommended. Ripped a screw right out of the frame trying to separate a mated pair. forums

    Here's more:

    3M? Dual Lock? Reclosable Fasteners are available in three stem densities:

    Type 170 - 170 stems/sq in (approximately 26 stems/sq cm)
    Type 250 - 250 stems/sq in (approximately 39 stems/sq cm)
    Type 400 - 400 stems/sq in (approximately 62 stems/sq cm)
    Low Profile - 705 stems/sq in (approximately 110 stems/sq cm)

    Dual Lock reclosable fasteners can be mated in the following combinations:

    170 to 250 Easy opening for multiple closures. low engagement force, low tensile strength.

    250 to 250 Medium engagement force balanced with moderate tensile strength.

    250 to 400 Higher engagement force balanced with high tensile strength.

    400 to 400 Not recommended.

    I think 250 to 250 would be more than adequate.

    If anyone can find a source that will sell these in smaller quantities I would be grateful.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try this place. They're selling them for $3.64 for a ten pack.


    http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/ca...s/2002/180.pdf

  9. #9
    Inactive Member fmjbullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I did find the dual locks at Radio Shack, but only in a package of 4 strips each 3" long. Also, I have no idea what the stem count is in them. All I do know is I stuck a couple of the strips together and had a heck of a time getting them apart.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Dual Locks that Allied lists are the type 400 in the 13/16" diameter. 400 is about the only density I have found for sale in small quantities. What Altec used is more like a type 250 (or less) in a 9/16" diameter which is a combination that 3M doesn't seem to list in their catalog. Here's some more information:


    SJ2712 is a type 170 with 28.5mm (1 1/8") diameter circle. 5.1mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 7.9mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3251 is a type 250 with 28.5mm (1 1/8") diameter circle. 5.96mm thick with one 4.93mm diameter hole and a 9.53mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3263 is a type 250 with 20.6mm (13/16") diameter circle. 5.1mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 7.9mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3755 is a type 250 with 28.5mm (1 1/8") diameter circle. 5.96mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 7.9mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3234 is a type 400 with 14.3mm (9/16") diameter circle. 5.1mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 9.2mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3463 is a type 400 with 20.6mm (13/16") diameter circle. 5.08mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 7.9mm diameter centered counterbore.

    SJ3763 is a type 400 with 20.6mm (13/16") diameter circle. 5.08mm thick with one 4.1mm diameter hole and a 7.9mm diameter centered counterbore.


    I've tried taking a type 400 9/16" diameter and cutting out some of the posts but it wasn't very successful. I think taking some type 250 (or less) in a larger diameter and cutting it down to 9/16" diameter might be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.